What you Need to Know About Cremation

There are procedures to follow when considering cremation.


If the deceased worked on a mine, you may be able to claim compensation for lung damage. To do this, we will need your permission to have the lungs removed for examination. You will have to sign a form for the Medical Bureau for Occupational Diseases.

If the deceased had a pacemaker or other radioactive implant, this must be removed before cremation. There is a risk that the implants will explode under high temperatures, which could damage the cremators and cause harm to crematorium staff. It is also a good idea to remove jewellery before cremation.

The exact cause of death must be established before cremation can take place.

The medical referee appointed by the crematorium authority gives permission for cremation to take place. The medical referee must be satisfied that:

  • The deceased has been identified
  • The primary cause of death has been established beyond doubt
  • Cremation is not against the written wishes of the deceased

We can arrange for a private autopsy to be performed on our premises for this purpose.


You may have a service at the crematorium in addition to, or instead of, a memorial service. You may also choose to witness the committal of the coffin to the cremator. If you have a separate memorial service, this will be held a day or two before the cremation takes place.

The deceased is cremated in the original coffin or casket chosen and the cremator takes only one coffin at a time. The cremation process takes about one hour and a half.

Thom Kight & Company uses municipal crematorium facilities and makes all the arrangements with the crematorium on behalf of the family.


At the end of the cremation process, the ashes are removed from the cremator and left to cool. Any metal in the ashes is removed magnetically and the ashes are crushed and placed in a container.

Usually, the family takes the ashes. You can choose an urn or box to keep them in. The ashes can be scattered or buried at the crematorium or, if allowed, a place of worship. Many places also offer a place for a memorial plaque.

Ashes can also be scattered in a place that was important to the deceased. Thom Kight & Company has a lovely rose garden on the premises and you may choose to scatter or bury the ashes there.


You will need to provide the following documents before the body can be buried:

Document Who Issues This Where You Get It
Declaration of Death Ambulance services We will obtain this for you from the ambulance service
Notice of Death Form DHA 1663 For death as a result of natural causes, the medical attendant (doctor or pathologist) who confirms the death issues the notice. In other cases, the state pathologist issues the notice.

The Notice of Death includes the personal details and thumbprints of both the deceased and the informant (usually a relative). It is taken to the Department of Home Affairs, which then issues the death certificate.
We will obtain this for you from the doctor, hospital or state.
Death certificate Department of Home Affairs We will go to Home Affairs for you to register the death and obtain the death certificate
Application for Cremation The funeral directors We will give you this form to sign

Family Values and Contemporary Choices

The Highest Standards


We provide high-quality services in line with the Industry's code
of practice standards and professional ethics.

Quality and standards are what bereaved families assume, want, and expect from funeral directors. We are a member of the World Organisation of Funeral Operatives (FIAT–IFTA) and a founding member of the Independent Funeral Directors Association of Southern Africa (IFDA). To maintain high standards, our staff undertakes continued training and reviews professional practice standards.